The Minister for Small Business and Assistant Treasurer, the Honourable Kelly O'Dwyer, has published a Safety Warning Notice on hoverboards.
The safety warning notice states that the ACCC is investigating whether hoverboards can cause injury following safety related incidents linked to the goods.
There is a possible risk of injury to consumers resulting from:
- overheating of hoverboards or their chargers, and fires; and
- falls and crashes while using hoverboards.
What should consumers do?
Electrical safety hazard advice:
- Ensure that the packaging is marked with the Australian regulatory compliance symbol or RCM - a tick surrounded by a triangle. The RCM signifies that a supplier has taken the necessary steps to ensure the product, including the battery and charging device, complies with electrical safety requirements.
- Overcharging non-compliant devices may cause overheating of the battery and result in a fire.
- Always use the approved battery charger that came with the product. If there are signs of damage near the battery do not charge the unit until the device is inspected by a professional.
- Hoverboard owners are advised to strictly follow the manufacturer's instructions when using and charging their hoverboard. Adults should supervise the charging of all electrical devices for children.
- Exercise extra caution when purchasing these products online, as it may be difficult to assess the quality of the product and whether compliance requirements have been met.
- Consumers should check the Recalls Australia website to see if their product or charger has been recalled.
Fall injury and road usage advice
- Users should ensure they use appropriate safety equipment, including a helmet, knee pads, elbow pads and wrist guards. Always wear shoes when riding a hoverboard.
- Riders are strongly advised to check with their local traffic authorities or police before riding a hoverboard in a public place.
Disposal of non-compliant devices
- Consumers who have purchased a non-compliant or recalled device should contact their supplier for advice.