There is a mandatory standard that specifies the labelling requirements for certain textile products to provide the public with enough information on how to care for clothing and textiles to avoid damage.
About care labelling for clothing and textiles
Care labelling for clothing and textiles covers items such as clothing, furnishings, plastic coated fabrics, leathers and furs.
Care labelling provides the public with enough information to:
- know how to care for clothing and textile products
- have prior knowledge of costs such as dry cleaning in the ongoing care of clothing and textile products
- understand how to clean clothing and textile products properly (e.g. cold hand wash only)
- maximise the life of clothing and textile products
- avoid damage such as dyes running (e.g. wash separately).