Roche Diabetes Care Australia Pty Ltd — Accu-Chek Guide and Accu Chek Performa Blood Glucose Meters
What are the defects?
The Accu-Chek Guide and Performa blood glucose meters may show the following power-related issues:
- Display E-9 Errors (indicating batteries need to be replaced)
- Unexpectedly show the low battery icon
- Have unexpected short battery life
- Not power on
Power issues such as those listed may result in a temporary meter unavailability for the user.
What are the hazards?
If users are unable to monitor blood glucose levels to determine the insulin dose or make treatment decisions, this may lead to incorrect dosing decisions, which can lead to serious health complications.
What should consumers do?
Roche will contact affected customers in writing. Customers are advised to follow the instructions provided in the customer letter and the following warnings:
1. Always have a spare set of high quality batteries
2. Battery life may vary due to factors such as temperature and battery manufacturer
3. Have a back-up testing method available
Further information can be obtained from the website at https://www.accu-chek.com.au/#alerts
For further information, contact the Roche Diabetes Care Enquiry line on 1800 251 816
Pharmacies and Chemists
Therapeutic Goods Administration is the responsible regulator for this recall.