The mandatory standard prescribes requirements for the safety markings and labelling requirements of elastic luggage straps.
Elastic luggage straps are designed for securing luggage or other objects.
The mandatory standard applies to elastic straps or cords that have:
- a hook
- a buckle
- other type of fastening device, at each end.
Trade Practices (Consumer Product Safety Standards) Regulations 1979 - Elastic luggage straps sets out the mandatory requirements for elastic luggage straps.
These requirements aim to provide an overview of the mandatory standard. Suppliers must not rely on this information as a complete guide to compliance.
The mandatory standard requires elastic luggage straps to have permanently attached to them a label bearing the following warning:
- WARNING. Avoid eye injury. DO NOT overstretch. ALWAYS keep face and body out of recoil path. DO NOT use when strap has visible signs of wear or damage.
The label must state the:
- word 'WARNING' in upper case black letters of not less than 4 mm in height on a yellow background
- words 'DO NOT' and 'ALWAYS' in upper case black letters of not less than 2 mm in height on a yellow background
- remaining words are to be lower case black letters of not less than 2 mm in height on a yellow background.