Different government agencies are responsible for monitoring and regulating the safety of different types of products.
Regulators of general consumer products
Product safety regulation in Australia for general consumer products is a shared responsibility between the ACCC and the states and territories.
- Australian Capital Territory Fair Trading - Fair Trading and Compliance, Chief Minister, Treasury and Economic Development Directorate
- Australian Competition and Consumer Commission
- Consumer Affairs Victoria - Department of Justice and Community Safety
- New South Wales Fair Trading - NSW Department of Customer Service
- Queensland Fair Trading - Department of Justice and Attorney-General
- South Australia Consumer and Business Services - Attorney-General's Department
- Consumer, Building and Occupational Services - Department of Justice
- Western Australia Consumer Protection - Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety
Regulators of specific types of products
Particular government agencies monitor and regulate the safety of certain specific types of products.
- Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority - safety information about veterinary products
Boats and marine
- Australian Maritime Safety Authority - information about marine safety and the safety of vessels
- Therapeutic Goods Administration - safety information on chemicals used in therapeutic goods
- Australian Industrial Chemicals Introduction Scheme (AICIS) - safety information about industrial chemicals
Medicine and medical devices
- Therapeutic Goods Administration - safety information about therapeutic goods
- Electrical Regulatory Authorities Council - safety information about electrical equipment in your state or territory
Note: The ACCC has a role in supporting state and territory regulators to monitor electrical equipment recalls.
- Food Standards Australia New Zealand - safety information about food and grocery products
- Gas Technical Regulators Committee - safety information about gas appliances in your state or territory
Note: The ACCC has a role in supporting state and territory regulators to monitor gas appliance recalls.
- The Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications - safety information about road vehicles
Note: The ACCC and the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications have signed a memorandum of understanding, to apply from 1 July 2021.
See: A new home for road vehicle recalls for information on how the MOU applies to recalls.