This mandatory standard applies to bean bags and bean bag covers that have openings through which the filling can be accessed or can escape, and prescribes a labelling requirement for packages containing bean bag filling.
About bean bags
The following items are also covered by the mandatory standard if the item has an opening through which the filling can be accessed or can escape:
- aqua bean bags for swimming pools
- futon mattresses
- novelty cushions for children
- nursing and therapeutic pillows and cushions
- pet beds
- stable tables.
Items that do not have any openings through which filling can escape or be accessed are not covered by this mandatory standard.
The Consumer Goods (Bean Bags) Safety Standard 2014 sets out the mandatory requirements for bean bags.
These requirements aim to give suppliers a general idea of what is required by the mandatory standard. Suppliers must not rely on this information as a complete guide to compliance.
Design and construction
- All openings of a bean bag and bean bag cover from which you can insert or remove filling must be fitted with a child-resistant slide fastener. This is usually a zip with its tag removed, which locks into place to prevent easy opening.
- A bean bag must not be supplied with any tag, handle or object that can facilitate movement of the child-resistant fastener.
- Only slide-fasteners that provide direct access to bean bag filling must be child resistant.
All bean bags with accessible openings, bean bag covers and packaging containing filling must have a warning label with the following message:
WARNING: Children can suffocate if bean bag filling is swallowed or inhaled. Do not let children climb inside this bean bag. A bean bag is not a safe sleeping surface for an infant under 12 months of age.
The warning label must be conspicuous and fixed securely, or stamped on the item, and:
- the word ‘WARNING’ must appear in red and upper-case letters at least 5 mm high and on a white background
- the remaining words must appear in title case. The upper-case letters need to be at least 5 mm high
- the words not a safe must appear in bold font.
A bean bag lining must also have the warning message attached, this is because linings may be changed and the warning still needs to be present.