The mandatory standard commenced on 18 December 2019 and prescribes requirements for the design, construction and performance of miniature motorbikes, as well as accompanying safety warnings and user manual.
About miniature motorbikes
The mandatory standard defines a miniature motorbike as a vehicle which resembles a motorcycle but scaled down to about half the size, that:
- is designed to be used by a single person, and
- has a seat height no greater than 600 millimetres, and
- has major dimensions which are scaled down in proportion to the seat height.
This definition is consistent with the definition of a miniature motorbike in the Motor Vehicle Standards (Road Vehicles) Determination 2017 (Cth) for the Motor Vehicle Standards Act 1989 (Cth).
The mandatory standard excludes:
- vehicles that are registerable for road use
- vehicles with a maximum design speed of 30 km/h or less
- power-assisted pedal cycles
- motorised scooters
- motorised recreational devices
- small off-road motorbikes designed and intended for use by children as a learner or introductory motorbike within a product range.
See also: Miniature motorbikes
The Consumer Goods (Miniature Motorbikes) Safety Standard 2019 came into effect on 18 December 2019.
More information about the mandatory standard can be found in the Explanatory Statement available on the Federal Register of Legislation website.
The following information provides consumers and suppliers with guidance about the requirements of the mandatory standard. Suppliers must not rely on this information as a complete guide to compliance, and when in doubt should refer to the mandatory standard.
Design and construction
The mandatory standard prescribes requirements for design and construction, including:
- a self-closing, hand-operated throttle
- an effective braking system
- adequate foot pegs
- an effective steering system
- a supplemental engine stop
- a speed-limiting device.
A miniature motorbike must be accompanied by a manual containing certain instructions for use. The manual must be in the English language.
The mandatory standard sets out specific requirements for the user manual.
All miniature motorbikes must be supplied with warnings about identified hazards and measures to address them.
The following warning label must be permanently attached to the motorbike (not to scale):
All miniature motorbikes must be supplied with a swing tag containing the below warning. If a miniature motorbike is supplied in packaging, the packaging must also be marked with the below warning (not to scale):