Blinds and curtains with long, unsecured cords are a strangulation hazard for children. Make sure you buy blinds and curtains with safe design features and that all long cords are secured.
Blinds, curtains and other window coverings are often operated using long cords.
Installing blinds and curtains
- Make sure any loose or looped cords are secured—do not leave them hanging down.
- If possible, remove looped cords by cutting the cord and installing tassels.
- Some blinds can’t operate properly without looped cords. To keep them out of children’s reach you should secure these cords with either tie-downs (cleats) or tension devices that enclose cords and chain loops.
- Always fix tie-downs and tension devices firmly to the wall or window-frame to prevent a child from remove them.
Blind and curtain cords can present a strangulation hazard to children, as they may become entangled in them while trying to use, or play around window coverings. Even with raised coverings, children can climb onto window sills or furniture and access cords. Cords can also strangle infants sleeping or playing in cots placed near windows where cords are within reach or hanging into cots.
Young children often like to climb onto furniture to look out the window. If they can reach the cords, they may quickly become entangled in them, lose their footing and suffer strangulation or serious injuries.
Accidental strangulation can happen very quickly, so never leave children alone in these rooms, even for a short while.
- Choose blinds and curtains with safe design features and warning labels.
- Ensure the blind provides a way to secure cords so there are no loops or strands that children can reach.
- Consider blinds that operate without exposed cords.
- Buy tie-downs and tension devices from hardware or window furnishing stores.
- Do not put children’s cots, beds, highchairs or playpens near a window where children can reach the blind or curtain cords.
- Do not place sofas, chairs, tables, shelves or bookcases near windows with corded blinds or curtains.
- Check all window furnishings and place all cords out of children’s reach.