This mandatory standard applies to bean bags and bean bag covers that have openings through which the filling can be accessed or can escape, and prescribes a labelling requirement for packages containing bean bag filling.
The following items are also covered by the mandatory standard if the item has an opening through which the filling can be accessed or can escape:
- aqua bean bags for swimming pools
- futon mattresses
- novelty cushions for children
- nursing and therapeutic pillows and cushions
- pet beds
- stable tables.
After a review by the ACCC, a revised standard was published in November 2014. Items that do not have any openings through which filling can escape or be accessed are not covered by this mandatory standard.
From 1 July 2016, all products must comply with the Consumer Goods (Bean Bags) Safety standard 2014.
These requirements aim to give suppliers a general idea of what is required by the mandatory standard. Suppliers must not rely on this information as a complete guide to compliance.
Design and construction
- All openings of a bean bag and bean bag cover from which you can insert or remove filling must be fitted with a child-resistant slide fastener. This is usually a zip with its tag removed, which locks into place to prevent easy opening.
- A bean bag must not be supplied with any tag, handle or object that can facilitate movement of the child-resistant fastener.
- Only slide-fasteners that provide direct access to bean bag filling must be child resistant.
- All bean bags with accessible openings, bean bag covers and packaging containing filling must have a warning message.
- The warning message must be conspicuous and fixed securely, or stamped on the item.
- The word ‘WARNING’ must appear in red and upper-case lettering on a white background, at least 5 mm high.
- The remaining words must appear in title case. The upper-case letters need to be at least 5 mm high.
- The bag lining must come with labels, even if it is fully enclosed. This is because lining covers may be changed and the warning still needs to be present.