On 24 October 2017, the Ministers for Employment and Small Business issued a joint media release announcing the investigation, Quad bike safety taskforce.
The ACCC will consider whether to recommend a safety standard for quad bikes that may:
- introduce a national quad bike safety rating system; and/or
- prohibit unsafe design features or mandate requirements for design; and/or
- require warnings or instructions to be provided at the point of sale.
The project is being conducted under the auspices of a Quad Bike Interdepartmental Committee involving Commonwealth and State and Territory agencies.
The ACCC intends to:
- release an Issues Paper in mid November 2017 for public consultation;
- release a Draft Recommendation in early 2018 for consultation; and
- provide its Final Recommendation to Minister McCormack by mid 2018.
Updates on the project will be provided on this website.
Enquiries can be directed to:
ACCC Quad Bike Taskforce
23 Marcus Clarke St, Canberra ACT 2601
Phone (02) 6243 4930
Quad bike safety steps
Follow these safety steps when using quad bikes to help you and your loved ones stay safe.
- Ensure you are properly trained before you ride a quad bike.
- Maintain the bike so it is in safe condition.
- Read the operator manual and observe the manufacturer's safety warnings and recommended use of the vehicle.
- Before you leave for a quad bike ride, always tell someone where you plan to go and when you expect to return.
- Always wear a helmet.
- Wear protective clothing and gear such as goggles, long sleeves, long pants, boots and gloves/hand protection.
- Never let children ride quad bikes that are meant for adults – even as passengers.
- Do not carry any passengers on quad bikes that are meant for one person.
- Quad bikes are not all-terrain vehicles so they cannot go safely on all types of terrain. Avoid riding on rough terrain or steep slopes.
- Ride on familiar tracks and beware of obstacles.
- Never ride under the influence of alcohol/drugs.
- Ensure children are supervised at all times near any quad bike activity.
- Always carry a mobile phone or radio device so you can contact for help in case of an emergency.
Watch our video Quad bike safety: would you risk it? to see some of the potential dangers quad bikes can pose.