Unsafe or incorrectly used vehicle support stands can cause serious injury or death. Make sure you use support stands that meet the mandatory safety standard.
About vehicle support stands
Vehicle support stands are tools to support the axle or chassis of a vehicle allowing access to the underside of the vehicle for maintenance. Vehicle support stands come in fixed or adjustable heights.
Risks and injuries
Raising and supporting a motor vehicle with vehicle support stands is potentially hazardous because of the vehicle's weight and lack of stability when raised. Using unsafe vehicle supports stands, or using vehicle support stands inappropriately, can lead to serious injuries and death.
- Make sure vehicle support stands meet the mandatory safety standard.
- Use vehicle support stands on a hard, level surface and always use them in pairs.
- Always fully engage the locking mechanism and position a wedge (chock) behind all wheels that remain on the ground.
- Do not extend the height of the stands beyond the maximum working height or adjust the height when they are bearing weight.
- Never place any part of your body under a raised vehicle until it is sitting on support stands or vehicle ramps.